When I flossed between two molars it was painful so I instinctively knew there was a problem. I told the dentist and he said he saw a cavity so he filled it. A week later the problem was not resolved, it was actually a bit worse... It was still painful when I flossed and now when I bite down and put any pressure on the filling. The dentist decided he would redo the cavity again. A week went by, and still the same tooth was painful in the same spot where the cavity was... I decided to get a second opinion from another dentist. The second opinion decided she would redo the previous dentists work, they removed the filling and for the third time, added a new composite filling. A week went by and tooth was still painful! In fact I could no longer eat using this tooth. Any pressure applied where the cavity was, was too painful to bare. Because I liked my second opinion better I decided to use them to complete any further treatments needed. I was told the next step is to get a root canal treatment. This would kill the nerve in the tooth and should resolve the pain. After this we would put a crown on the tooth.
So I proceeded with the root canal which required three treatments. The first two treatments seemed to go well, however the entire tooth ached a lot. Unfortunately my dentist had a trip to the African Safari and couldn't complete the final treatment stage until she returned. She sealed my tooth with medication and left to go photograph wild animals. About a week later the entire tooth was extremely painful, agonizing pain and I told my dentist I cant wait for her to return.. I need a solution. She recommended I go see another dentist to clean out the canal and re-pack the tooth with medication. This did help relieve the pain and when she returned she completed the final third stage of the root canal treatment.
A couple weeks go by and again, the whole tooth was aching.. I was having headaches, and any pressure caused pain. Even if I pushed on the tooth with my finger it was painful. My dentist said she suspects it could be fractured but she doesn't see any evidence indicating theres a fracture. She recommended I see an endodontics specialist who has a microscope and is more equipped to check for fractures. They examined the tooth under a high powered microscope and could find no evidence of fractures or problems. At this point I told them id rather have the tooth pulled out than deal with the pain. However they insisted i shouldn't pull the tooth because there is no evidence the tooth is fractured or needs to be pulled. At this point, the specialist recommended I have a root canal re-treatment done.
The dentist who did the original root canal had suggested I get the re-treatment elsewhere because a new set of eyes might be beneficial. So I did some research and found another specialist who agreed a root canal re-treatment was necessary. This specialist also recommended to do the re-treatment in three phases. After the first treatment the tooth felt significantly better... By the second treatment the tooth literally had no pain! I was very excited that I was finally on the path to success. It's a great feeling after enduring so much time and pain trying to fix a single tooth. Now I just needed to finish the third stage, seal the tooth and toss on a crown. But just when I thought luck was on my side, I was hit with another problem... the Covid-19 virus!
Just like before, I finished two stages of the treatment and then something gets in the way... The whole city went on lock down, the dental office was closed, transportation came to a halt and going outside was deemed very high risk. So now I am forced to isolate and stay at home until further notice. After about two months of isolation suddenly pain starts creeping into my tooth again. Its becoming very painful when I press my finger on it or tap it. I called my dentist and she recommended I go to the pharmacy and buy antibiotics until I can see her again and resume treatment. After over two months of city lock down, I was finally able to setup another appointment with my dentist. Let's just hope I can actually get this tooth resolved once and for all. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with another delay, problem or issue with this tooth. We will just have to wait and see.